Jackson Student Loan Attorney
Get the Relief You Need
Nobody likes living with debt of any kind, but student loans can be particularly obtrusive. You may have needed to take out one or more of these loans when you chose to pursue higher education, and with tuition costs climbing ever higher, you were likely left with a stiff bill upon graduation. Student loans can come in federal and private varieties, and together, the debt can quickly overwhelm your means to live your life – even if you have reliable income.
If you are struggling to stay on top of your student loan debt, we can help. Our Jackson student loan lawyer at Irvin Law, PLLC has a complete understanding of how to tackle exorbitant debts and get you the relief that you need. We can identify potential legal solutions that can reduce your debt and take quick, decisive steps to mitigating the negative consequences of student loan debt default.
Why Should I Hire a Student Loan Lawyer?
Many student loans have aggressive terms that effectively trap borrowers into making endless payments. Even worse, both private and federal student loan debts cannot typically be discharged in a bankruptcy. This leaves many borrowers in a state of limbo: They cannot possibly hope to escape the cycle of student loan debt, even with decent income, but they also seemingly have no other means of addressing the debt.
Some turn to student loan debt relief agencies, which are different from student loan lawyers. An agency will make big promises about consolidating your loans and reducing your monthly payment amount in exchange for large fees. The reality is many of the services these agencies offer can be done by yourself for free – and you are not getting the legal support that you may need.
Our Jackson student loan attorney can help you understand your rights and help you explore all of the legal tools and solutions available to you when addressing your debt. Our services are not built around what amounts to shuffling deck chairs: Our goal is to always help you navigate difficult and complex situations relating to student debt.
It may be a good time to consider hiring a student loan lawyer if:
- You are delinquent on one or more student loans or one or more has entered default
- You are receiving angry calls and letters from creditors
- Your credit score is plummeting due to delinquent payments or default
- Your wages and/or tax refunds are being garnished
- You are considering filing for bankruptcy
How a Student Loan Attorney Can Help
When you are unable to pay mounting student loans, you are likely to face one or more negative consequences. Your credit will likely suffer substantial damage if any of your student loans go unpaid for more than 90 days. After 270 days, many student loan debts will enter default, giving servicers the ability to file lawsuits against you and, for federal loans, potentially garnish your wages. Private servicers can sometimes be even more aggressive and pursue legal action after even a single missed payment.
Every student loan situation is different, and the strategy for how to address the debt will often depend on the specific terms of each loan agreement. We can parse these complex rules and determine the most effective means of moving forward and getting you relief.
Our team can employ a number of strategies to help you overcome student loan debt issues, including:
- Stopping creditor abuse. You have federal rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act that protect you from abusive, exploitative, and other forms of unlawful creditor behavior. We can put a quick stop to ceaseless calls, unsolicited visits, offensive or misleading language, and more.
- Verifying that creditors own debts. Debts are bought and sold more than you may realize, and the collection agency harassing you very well may not be the original servicer of your student loan debt. You have the legal ability to require that a creditor prove they own and have a right to collect on a debt. If they cannot produce the necessary documentation – and in many instances, they cannot – they cannot ask you to repay. We can help you navigate this process and communicate with creditors.
- Resolving delinquencies and defaults. Nonpayment of student loan debts trigger severe consequences, and you will want to take immediate steps to settle delinquencies and defaults as quickly as possible. Each loan has its own rules and procedures for resolving these matters,
- Negotiating on your behalf with servicers and creditors.We can serve as your advocate for any situation where you need to communicate with your student loan servicer or creditor. We can also legally represent you in situations where you need to proactively approach a lender in an effort to renegotiate terms surrounding student loan debt.
- Representing you in legal proceedings. If one or more of your debts enters default, you may face a lawsuit from your servicer or a collection agency. We can fiercely advocate for you in these situations and do everything possible to protect you from wage garnishments and other negative consequences. If you have suffered abuse at the hands of a servicer or collection agency, we can also help you pursue any necessary legal action.
- Identifying and pursuing means of discharging debts. Depending on your situation, there are limited circumstances where one can apply for and successfully procure dischargements of student loan debts. We can evaluate whether you qualify for dischargement and assist you throughout the process.
- Navigating state-specific private loans. Student loans from federal servicers will have rules that apply across the United States, but if you took out any private loans, they are beholden to state laws. We can help you navigate rules and regulations specific to Mississippi.
- Rebuilding credit. If you are struggling to stay on top of student loan debt, your credit has already likely taken a few hits. Depending on the strategies we pursue in getting you relief and addressing any defaults, your credit might suffer additional short-term damage. Our team can work closely with you to identify means of swift, sustainable credit recovery.
Do Not Face Student Loan Debt Alone
It can be easy to feel helpless in the face of overwhelming student loan debt, especially if one or more servicers is threatening legal action. Our Jackson student loan lawyer at Irvin Law, PLLC can give you the support that you need. We have an intimate understanding of the ins and outs of both federal and Mississippi regulations surrounding student loan debt and can leverage our knowledge to help you more effectively address your situation. When you meet with our team, we will evaluate your financial circumstances, review the terms of your student loan debt agreements, and identify ways we can assist you.